To update your WordPress is a time consuming task you can’t avoid. Without it, your site will be in trouble and you’ll be regretful. Knowing this, here you have a powerful tool to help you to maintain your plugins updated.
Select the cases for automated updates and the manual ones based on the update level and single plugin if you want or let the plugin decide for you. Stability vs. safety is the balance. Let the plugin take itself the decision if you like it.
Semantic version numbering didides version numbers in three main blocks: major, minor and patch in this way: major.minor.patch. If all the plugin authors were working fine, when only patch version number changes, bug and security fixes in a compatible way were done, when the minor number increases, new functionality are added in a backwards compatible way. Major version changes are incompatible and may require additional work with your site.
Yu’ll never know in advance when an error in a plugin can make your WordPress site fail, nor will you know in advance that you are leaving a security hole to be attacked if you do not update.
Sample of pending updates message.
Sample of updated message.
- Upload files to the /wp-content/plugins/automatic-safe-update directory or install plugin through the Plugins menu of your WordPress directlly.
- Activate the plugin through the Plugins menu of your WordPress.
- Go to Automatic Safe Update settings from the WordPress admin menu to configure the plugin.
- Adjust settings as you like and press at save changes.
May 20 2019
* Translation related bugs.
May 19 2019
* WordPress.org initial version.